Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Doula Inspiration


Shortly before becoming pregnant I was a resident staff member at a yoga retreat center. I had been living and studying there for two and a half years, learning about yoga- not only “on-the mat” practices, but also how to bring what I was learning into my everyday life and out into the world. My yoga was becoming not only a tool to keep my body fit, but also a valuable means to help me face every situation, the blissful and the stressful, with ease and grace.
When I became pregnant with my daughter, it quickly occurred to me that skills and approaches learned through the focused practice of yoga were going to be incredibly valuable throughout my pregnancy, labor, and birth. The ability to take deep, full, calming breaths, and to cultivate acceptance of the present moment helped me through many sick mornings in early pregnancy. My stretching and moving kept me comfortable as my body progressed into late pregnancy. My lack of inhibitions around sounding and chanting, as well as being able to soften and relax around heightened sensation, made my labor and birth feel manageable.
It is because of my experience with yoga and the amazing support that I received during the birth of my child that I have decided to become a doula. I am inspired to share my knowledge and to offer loving support to other women so that they and their families may, too, experience pregnancy and birth as magical and immensely transformative events.

No comments:

Post a Comment